Wednesday 10 August 2016

Converted Chaos Defiler - The Best Conversion Ever?


Is this the best conversion ever? What if I told you it was made from a Chaos Defiler which is widely recognised as an incredibly ugly model?




Am I feeling full of myself today?




Probably.




In truth though, the model is almost 100% Defiler parts - with the legs being made out of the largest crab claws and the arms made of the smaller ones. The torso is also all Defiler, but it has been rotated and cut about to make what you see now.


One of the hardest parts was building a serviceable pelvis as the part from the Defiler kit has attachments for all of the additional legs. Other than that I used some Mauler Fiend parts on the arms.

I still need to do a bunch of greenstuff work - especially on the Battle Cannon arm and the joints on the legs where I had to cut things about. After that I have to paint the thing, which should be a hell of a task. Maybe I'll try and do it for this years Dreadtober if Greg will let me enter the thing! (What it's an armour 12 walker!).

Size wise it's about 8" tall - making it taller than an Imperial Knight, but not as burly. It is fun to be able to poke out behind buildings and use them as cover like an infantry model behind a wall.










Here's hoping Chaos get a boost in the next Codex and it goes up to armour 13! (also a points cost cut might be nice if it doesn't).

13 comments:

  1. Alright, yeah. That is a pretty great conversion! :D Maybe not the bets conversion ever, but could perfectly be YOUR best conversion. And mine too. Beats my Looted Defiler.

    Now make another for Makari's WAAAAAGH! XD

    Very, very well done. I may copy the general structure for a Defiler I am planning to buy (I can't have two Defilers looted the same way, can I?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It takes some work to get them to look like this, a lot of cutting and repositioning, but if you take a look at the photos you should be able to make one yourself.

      I need to paint some of the stuff I have for the Grot Army before I build anything else! - I still need to finish off those Skorchas too...

      Delete
    2. My biggest concern when magic very extreme conversions is...well, messing them up and wasting a 50€ model.

      I like how I can tell what part is where. Like the ammo drum for the machine guns...that is the cannon.

      Delete
    3. I think I'm going to replace "The hobby blog that nobody reads" with "magic very extreme conversions"!!!

      Good spot on the cannon. I'll admit, projects like this can be a bit nerve wracking, but well worth it when they're done. If you really do attempt it, leave a comment somewhere with a link so I can see how it goes!

      Delete
    4. Best typo 2016 XD

      I have had to use a hacksaw in...two of my vehicles, but that is it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, one day I hope to get it painted too. It should really stand out then!

      Delete
  3. I actually like the base Defiler Model, but this is undeniably far more badass. Now, like you said, here's hoping it gets some Rules that don't suck at some point here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rules at the moment are just rather strange. On the one hand it has a lot of good weapons, but they don't compliment each other. That and 200points is a bit steep for armour 12.

      Delete
    2. It's also trying to be both a Firebase Unit and an Assault Unit at the same time, which doesn't help. The final nail in the coffin is when you compare to the Soul Grinder, which is more flexible to build, tougher, and cheaper in a comparable build.

      Delete
  4. I do like the original to be honest, I think people just need to model it in a more dynamic way. But this does look very interesting, not all Warpsmiths are going to make things the same way :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is utterly awesome...please please drill those barrels on the shoulder gun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that when I was looking at the pictures. I actually built this thing almost 2 years ago - you could say it is my hobby Nemesis - that one project that I just don't seem to be able to finish!

      Delete