Tuesday 16 October 2018

Daemonette Squad Finished (Juan Diaz Metal Sculpts)


Another unit finally finished. I've been working on these for some time. I've got more units to get through too as I stocked up on 2 another 20 when they went back into production for a limited run. These are all the ones that I collected earlier, and I had gradually painted 6 of them to finished about a year ago. I finished the last 4 recently.

I really like these metal sculpts. I actually do like the plastic ones as well, but I particularly like the fine details these ones have; in particular I actually like how they scale with other models in the chaos range. They look small and delicate next to your marines, which seems fitting somehow.


They look great as a unit too, and I know that I'll get a lot of use out of them now that they're finished. They don't cost that many points, so are the kind of unit you can afford to take in a lot of lists. Obviously, their survivability isn't that good, but I tend to play a mostly shooting oriented force with my Emperor's Children, and they're more likely to be used for counter-assault than anything else.

I'm posting again tomorrow, but It'll be something different. I finished my piece for Dreadtober, so I figure I better put that on the blog. After that, more Chaos!

11 comments:

  1. The plastics are solid, but these are my fave Daemonette sculpts. Diaz really knocked it out of the park with them. Nice paint work, too. The green makes a great spot colour there.

    Honestly, after I played with them for a while, I feel like they're actually still kind of overpriced. Without the bonus for being over 20 Models, they just don't kick out enough Attacks to overcome the fact that they're S3 and Rending only kicks in on 6+ to Wound, and they're so fragile that it's really hard to keep them above 20 for very long at all. They are still fun, and really fast, but I think they need a third Attack on their Profile, or for Rending to trigger on the to-hit roll (and be an auto-Wound) or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'll see how they do. I have used them once or twice, but as a smaller unit of 10 that was more of a throwaway than something I actually expected to do any damage.

      Delete
  2. These are some of the best Daemonette sculpts they've done, and you've done an exemplary job on 'em! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like them a lot, and it's nice to finish stuff for my Chaos as they are my main army, but haven't had a lot of love lately.

      Delete
    2. I just acquired 60 daemonettes juan diaz. I really like your colors and you did an amazing job. Could you offer me advice on the colors you used and any technique. I could really use the help. : ) Thanks!

      Delete
    3. I started with a white spray undercoat. They're metal, so spray is important if you want the paint to stick. After a good coat, I used a wash of dark pink colour which I mixed, so I can't say exactly what. It used Warlock Purple quite heavily (that may be the old name for the paint). I then highlighted the skin by mixing white and Warlock purple together until it was very pale. The edge colour Fulgrim pink (?) is quite close to the tone used. I highlighted their claws and head tentacle bits the same way as this, but when it was done, I did a thick glaze of Warlock purple (about 2/3 Lahmian medium to 1/3 purple maybe?). For the gold/metals I use Brass Scorpion (shake it well as it separates out) and mythril silver as a highlight.

      Delete
    4. Thank you alot for the advice! I'm going to definitely try your approach.

      Delete
  3. Nice going man. Great to see a full unit of them painted up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, just another 20 to go... then some raging heroes stuff, Seekers and a Chariot. Plus the daemon prince. Did I mention I have a lot of stuff to build and paint?

      Delete
  4. Normally dark pits for eyes wouldn't work but here they look spot on and are aptly suited to the Daemonettes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Amazing! Which paints did you use?

    ReplyDelete