Wednesday 31 October 2018

Massively Converted Slaanesh Defiler Painted and Finished


Probably my most ambitious conversion to date, this bigger than an imperial knight beast has been sitting idly by waiting for paint for about 4 years or more. In fact, I remember talking about it at the time as being about the size of a knight titan before they were ever actually released!

Anyway, with my latest push to finish some of my Chaos off and get my Emperor's Children back in shape, I finally got the thing finished. The airbrush helped to get It done as I was able to basecoat the silver and purple bits with reasonable speed and with less pain than otherwise might have been felt if I had to di it all by hand; especially considering it was fully built and had to be painted as one big chunk!


The conversion itself uses almost exclusively parts of the defiler kit, but it has all been reposed, cut and chopped together to walk upright. I did a lot of restructuring of the torso and everything as well. I'm really excited to finally finish it too. My Emperor's Children are never going to take to the field without him!
There are a couple of other pictures below. I recently finished a Warpsmith as well, so they should work together well and be very thematic too!



Helbrute shown for scale purposes

 Is it too late to claim them both as an incredibly last minute Dreadtober entry to go with my Dragoon?

16 comments:

  1. Really great version of the old 'standing defiler' conversion. The additional bits from other kits really make the build!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the funny thing is that when I built it, there was only one other standing defiler out there that I got the idea from. Now you see a few about the place!

      Delete
  2. You could easily play this as a Chaos Knight in friendly games, it has all the gravitas. Well played Sir, have this for DreadTober too I say! Leave a comment at the DreadTober blog pointing them to these too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm really happy with it, but almost more happy just to finally have it finished. This thing is going in all my games! It certainly makes a good centrepiece for the army. I have a game planned for Friday, so with any luck I'll at least get some pictures, maybe a report if I can.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic job!!! And I'll 2nd the notion that this ought to be run as a Knight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll be running it as what it is though, if only because it costs less points, so I can fit it in all my lists!

      Delete
  4. Awesome! I think I remember seeing one of your early posts on the build for this guy, back before I was really following any of the 40K blogosphere. Looks absolutely fantastic painted up. I think my favourite detail is the shoulder mount for the Reaper. And yeah, you could definitely use this as a Knight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is an old post on here about it that I probably posted almost 2 years ago. I love the reaper, I just wish it wasn't so lame rules-wise!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the Reaper Autocannon has regrettably fallen from its former greatness over the editions. Truly now, no one need fear the reaper ;)

      Delete
    3. It wouldn't be terrible if they just put the damage up to 2, at least then it wouldn't just be a rubbish autocannon. Oh well, I don't have a lot of models with them, so I can't complain!

      Delete
  5. Great work ... it looks fantastic. It would've been at home, graphically, in a PC game called "W40K Armageddon" that I'm playing now if only Chaos armies were involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I haven't heard of that game, but I'm a big fan of the battle for Armageddon. I remember all of the old magazines at the time and everything, it was so exciting. Plus Steel Legion are awesome (as evidenced by the huge number of them I painted this year!)

      Delete
  6. Lovely work, bravo! Always love to see more defilers around and this one is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rory. I'm really happy with how it has come out, and I've always enjoyed fielding a Defiler as part of my army. It isn't always great, but it certainly looks cool, and that is the most important thing as far as I'm concerned!

      Delete
  7. Awesome that you finally got one of these beasts done! It was nice to see it on the field last week too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely fantastic conversion and paint job - the detailing on the thigh plate is brilliant! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete