Tuesday 6 March 2018

Showcase: Converted Onager, 40k Skaven Tank - "The Doomcrawler"


I finished painting this conversion as part of Squaduary, but I didn't get the time to take proper photos of it, other than the group shots with the army. I thought it would be cool to do a little showcase with more angles, so people could get a better look at it.

I'm really happy with how this thing came out, especially with the paint all finished up. I felt like it needed a crewman to really tie it in with the rest of the force and to make it clear what force it belongs to.




The original build was inspired by the Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell, and the blue colour certainly brings it home. If you missed my earlier posts, this thing is basically an Onager with the cab flipper 180 degrees and joined to the back of the main leg section with a custom joint. Almost all of the pieces used are from the original Onager kit. 



I had originally thought of equipping it with the Iccarus Array, but when I sized up the parts I chose the Neutron Laser as it was the only gun big enough to fit the stretched out frame. Despite the increased length, it still balances really well on the base, and the build is as solid as a rock; although some of the is probably due to the great bond you get with plastic glue!


I'm happy with the crewman too. He has a little radio and control stick to give orders with. The radio voice piece actually connects to a little transmitter on his belt, but I forgot to take a picture of it. I painted him separately from the main tank, but he is the only part that was separated for painting. I might have broken it up more, but the extent of the conversion wouldn't allow it.


I'm still working on the army. I've got some Stormfiends that I'm working on for Monster March, and I've also been working on another unit that I'll post about tomorrow. Until next time then...

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm quite proud of it. Especially considering I managed to finish it in a limit time frame!

      Delete
  2. That is absolutely spectacular - Beautifully done, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Now I want to make another one...

      Delete
  3. Awesome work. This army is coming together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've been building another unit which I'll be posting tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. This conversion is just so gob smacking epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. The most important part is that I actually painted it ... Unlike most of my cool conversions.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. I actually won a local painting competition's open category with this piece a month or two later.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely brilliant work!!! When I first saw it, it did indeed remind me of the Tachikomas but you created an even better version ... so so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was trying to make it look a bit like a Tachikoma. The colour scheme was sort of unintentional, but it all cam together well!

      Delete
  7. What bits did you use for the crew balcony? Thinking of stealing some of this build for my 40k skaven :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really remember. I think that plate on the front is part of a grav tank? The railing is built from one of the parts that keeps the Onager's shoes on (if you build it that way). Other than that, the chimney type thing is part of a kill kan.

      Delete