Monday 26 February 2018

Squaduary 2018: The End, 40k Skaven Army Showcase


Well, I'm finally finished. The challenge was to paint a squad in February, and I pledged 10 40k Skaven troops (for use as Skitarii Vanguard) with a Dominus as the extra stretch goal. I've absolutely smashed my original target. This year, I'm delivering 10 Vanguard and the Dominus, plus the Doom-Crawler (Onager) and an additional 5 man Arquebus unit.

The pictures are a bit cramped as I've done so much that they don't really fit in my usual photo area! I'll be posting some more shots of the units individually soon, but for the moment, I need a rest!

You can see every man in this picture!


I'm really happy with how they've come out. The teal has been fun to paint, which is lucky as I've seen a lot of it now. I'm particularly happy with the converted Onager, which is looking great. I want to make another one now, but I'm trying to stay sensible, well almost.


I've already got a load more units on my work desk, but I'll be taking it a bit slower with the next batch. The important part is that I have enough units finished to really count the army as a proper thing; not to mention a good base to build from. I can't believe it's only been a month since I started this force. 


Once again, thanks to Rory over at Stepping Between Games for running this year's Squaduary. I wouldn't have even started these guys without the event!


18 comments:

  1. A month? Hell, that's more progress than I usually make in a year (and none of which would look nearly this good!)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I actually can't believe how much progress I've made. With 17 models, it's more than one every other day, and that includes the conversion time and a vehicle!

      Delete
  2. Flippin marvellous, love them all. Great job Blazmo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad to be putting the challenge behind me though. It was a lot of work! I did enjoy it, but I want to calm things down to a more sustainable level.

      Delete
  3. Well done man. They are totally amazing, I can't believe you turned this lot around in a month. My favourite is the little clanrat rocking out on the back of the Doomcrawler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. You've seen them all in person. I need to take some decent pictures of most of them for the blog still.

      Delete
  4. Good job, they are looking well. Very glad you joined in and we got to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rory. It must be a lot of work putting together all of those updates, but I really enjoyed reading them every week.

      Delete
  5. Love these Blazmo, and the Red Planet BASE is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bases are quite easy actually. I start with Blood Red (whatever the new version is called), then I wash them with Rhinox Hide. I then Dry-brush Vallejo Orange Fire and finally 50/50 Orange Fire and Rakarth Flesh.

      Delete
  6. Did you use anything extra for the Onager? or did all the bits come from a single one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://tabletopapocalypse.blogspot.com/2018/02/building-40k-skaven-tank-ratchikoma.html This post has more detail on the build. It is mostly Onager, but the connection between the bodies is a dreadnought arm, and there are a few other bits here and there. You could probably do something similar with most vehicle spares.

      Delete
  7. Do you do commissions? Is there an way I could contact you about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I very rarely do commission work and none at the moment.

      Delete
  8. This is incredible man, I’m just now finding this after getting very interested in both Skaven and 40k, and trying to marry the two on my own. Absolutely astounding work, and I really LOVE the color scheme. Well done!

    Have you been able to make any more progress on the army, or was this a one-off project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been more progress. If you check the "40k skaven" tab, you'll find some more - including their Dragoon and a few units that I haven't finished painting. They also have another vehicle that is much larger than the Doom Crawler pictured here, but I'm keeping it under wraps until it's finished.

      Delete