Wednesday 13 June 2018

Steel Legion Infantry Squad Finished


I just finished this squad for my fledgling Steel Legion force. I've been playing with the camera again too to get some dramatic and dynamic photos. I've also taken some stock shots on a black background so you can get a clearer look at them. The black seems to make the yellow of the jackets look a bit too strong. I did want them to be a bit more vibrant than usual though so they would stand out on the battlefield.

This has been quite a fast scheme to paint, and I estimate that they've taken me about an hour each. I've tried to keep the scheme fast because I'll need to paint a lot of models to get to the end of the army, and it is a force that I'm intending to use for games, so speed was an important consideration.


I remember the Third War for Armageddon Campaign that was fought in White Dwarf and all the battle reports from the time, as well as the global campaign that was fought. It has directly led to this project, as it gave me a real love for Steel Legion and there's just something awesome about how nostalgic it all feels. I've used Death Korps models, as they are a bigger range and nicer than the older (and now a little dated) Steel Legion models, but I still want to keep as much of the original feel as possible. For this reason, I'm planning to use a lot of the older units on the field, and plenty of things that were in Epic, and I have the same nostalgic feeling about. For that reason, I've started working on a Basilisk and a Colossus to back these boys up.








I also painted up a unit from Anvil Industry's Regiments range for them; giving me a total of 20 painted Infantry and the Deathstrike. Not a bad start, but I'll need at least 40 men to really get them going, and I need to finish some other vehicles as the Deathstrike is a bit lacklustre rules-wise at the moment, so it'll need some backup to get the job done!

I actually painted these 10 men in the space of a single weekend, so here's hoping I can keep up this level of enthusiasm.



11 comments:

  1. They're excellent man. Really looking forward to having some battles alongside them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think they look great in these photos too. I really need to get the scenery out more often as it just makes everything a lot more exciting.

      The red background is a good trick too as it almost looks like a burnished sky; especially after irresponsible use of a few photo filters!

      Delete
  2. Those are some very evocative miniatures as well as photographs. Looks like they're right in the thick of the action. Love the yellows standing out against the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm really happy with how they look. I've always loved everything that was around for the 3rd war, so I wanted to evoke as much of that as I could with my minis!

      Delete
  3. That is a very nice yellow. The poor bastards must spend every bit of free time keeping their trenchcoats clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Discipline in cleaning their coats will teach them discipline in battle - or something...

      Delete
  4. These look awesome! Great job mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just need to keep the enthusiasm levels high, and get the rest of the army done now. I've been working on a Basilisk, and it is getting pretty close to done. I needs some crew though, as they always look better with crew!

      Delete
  5. The yellows you got on these minis look vivid and simply gorgeous. They might be an enemy sniper's delight but at least they will look great up until the moment they bite the dust! :) In all seriousness, fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, Steel Legion normally fight Orks who couldn't hit the side of a barn; even if it was yellow!

      I'm happy with them. They are a quick scheme too, so I get a lot of bang for my buck time-wise which is cool. I actually just finished 500 points of them. I need to get the pictures up on the blog soon.

      Delete
  6. appears as though I’m late to this party but goddamn these look fine! I practiced google foo looking for a paint scheme for an epic scale ASL paint scheme and stumbled onto your channel. Really great stuff. Not sure I’ll go quite so bright on the uni’s but the tanks and everything else are spot on!

    ReplyDelete