Sunday 24 March 2019

Monster March - Week 3, Shadowsword Complete!



I finished the Shadowsword with time to spare. It still feels like it took long enough though. There's just something about painting tanks, even when you do it quickly. At some point I always come to the realisation that I'm basically painting a house brick with added relief!




Overall, I'm really happy with how the Steel Panther came out. It's actually the first Super Heavy that I've painted for any of my armies, so that's cool too. I'm not sure how much I'll use it in game, as I like to play smaller games mostly, but having it finished certainly fulfils a childhood dream or two. 



Although painting started to feel a bit arduous towards the end, I find with tanks that they really come alive when you start highlighting all the metals and adding the last weathering touches, as it really blends it all in nicely. Using the airbrush was a real life-saver too, or I'd probably still be sitting there base coating the thing. I honestly wouldn't paint a vehicle without it these days. Not to say that an airbrush will all the work, but once you get your techniques down, it can be a real time saver for highlighting, cammo patters and smooth application.

The finished Shadowsword in my display cabinet


Other than the tank, I've built, undercoated and airbrushed the chaos half of Shadowspear as well, so expect to see some units from the set turning up on the blog soon.



With one week to spare till the end of Monster March, I'll have to think of something to do with my newly completed super-heavy for the final update...

6 comments:

  1. very cool! Great work on that Baneblade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad I finished my project for Monster March this year!

      Delete
  2. Awesome man! It was great to get it on the table last weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, nothing like a titan-scale mashup to make you feel like it's 1999 again and you're having a game of Epic!

      Delete
  3. You should be happy with your Steel Panther ... me, I would've been ecstatic with how it turned out. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm happy with it. I've seen you're doing some serious tank work yourself though!

      Delete