Friday 15 September 2017

Necromunda Escher Paint Scheme - Test Miniatures

I've been making some good progress on the Escher gang this week, and today I'm presenting the first finished miniatures. I actually meant to post this article when I finished the first one, but as I was a day or two late, I finished a second one! At this rate the gang will be ready to fight in no time!



For the colour scheme, I really wanted to evoke the classic look that Necromunda always had; with bright colours and patterns. I'd always fancied having a go at paining an army "2nd edition" style, so the gang was a great chance to take a trip down memory lane without having to commit to it as permanently as painting a whole army would've been (I think  have enough armies at this point too...).

It seems that the classic colours for Escher gangers tended to be yellow, so I wanted to work that in there. I've also gone with bright blue and some reds (especially on the weapons) to get that old skool primary colour mash-up going on. I've done a few areas with hazard striping too as it is classic, and not that hard really. I got a lot of practice in on the technique while I was painting my genestealer cult.




Vertical striped leg? I don't know if I'll be attempting that again soon. I do like the green hair ends though.

The old miniatures stand up pretty well considering that they're about 20 years old! I think the original game had great styling for the time, and the proportions are pretty decent. When I think back on the old mono-pose plastics that I used to collect compared to these, I really have to ask myself why I didn't buy more Necromunda at the time.

Hazardous!

The pictures could be a bit better, but I really wanted to get these up on the blog before I painted any more of them. Hopefully they'll be facing off with Ed's Goliaths soon!

9 comments:

  1. Looking good! Lots of lovely old skool colour combos there! My only suggestion for the hazard striping would be to add a fine yellow highlight alongside the black, it can really help accentuate the stripe.

    Love, love, love the hair! It's important that the gangers don't all have the same hair colour though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm still experimenting with the scheme. I did the one with pure blue hair first and then I tried a bit of green. I might try one with green hair and maybe one red? I think I'll have to juggle a few of the other colours to make sure it looks good, as there is always the danger that you end up painting the whole thing red!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! They've been fun to paint - very nostalgic.

      Delete
  3. Great thing about Necromunda is the fact that your entire army is actually a Squad. Look forward to more, they look old school cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking awesome man! I love the hair on the lasgunner. Actually the way it is sculpted is very nice too, but your paint job really sets it off. I hope my Goliaths come out ok, then we can face off in a riot of clashing colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome stuff. Bet you can't wait for the Necromunda re-release!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are lovely to see done up and done well. Bravo. Hazard stripes still worry me and I have plenty to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try practising on scenery! I did a few bits like that and it definitely helped, plus any scruffy bits you can just add rust over to hide it!

      Delete