Surging forwards; I've finished the first test miniature. The colour scheme turned out to be more of a hassle than I had originally thought it would be. They were going to be blue to match the original Desert Dogs, but when I tried it they just didn't look right and half way through the test piece I started over. Luckily there were some white ones in the original force from 10 years ago; giving me the opportunity to reassess the colours and change plans half way through.
I've tried to really weather him and get a battered look; like they're fighting in an arid wasteland in the middle of a dust storm. It was kind of the idea anyway, but it is fun to have an image in mind sometimes. It can really inspire you and can bring up ideas that you probably wouldn't think of without that cinematic flash of inspiration.
An example of this is how I used a bit of verdigris on the brass (same technique as I used on that Anime Figure); a colour I matched with green on the base to get some interest in there and inject a bit of colour into the scheme.
|Ah, the originals. At the time they were revolutionary, not so much these days. The comparison is pretty funny though.|
Like my Genestealer Cult (link to some pictures of the troops); I planned the painting process to allow for batching and to get in different textures and looks without having to spend too much time per model. These guys are bound for the tabletop, not a showcase, so I'm not going to be too precious with their paint as they'll see a lot of handling.
Anyway, I hope people like the scheme; here's hoping the rest go as smoothly. On a side note, I have problems capturing white with my camera. It seems to reflect the light back at the lens or something and the pictures aren't as good as they could be, but I think it'll be better when I have a few more of them in the shot!