Since Christmas I've been hard at work on the new Necromunda range. Rather than heading straight to the gorgeous minis like usual, I actually started with the scenery. I have to admit that I was a little surprised myself, but seeing the parts in person really captivated my imagination.
I wanted to get them ready for use in some games I had planned, so I chose a scheme that wouldn't bee too demanding technically. More importantly, I wanted to capture a really grimy worn underhive look. In my imagination I was aiming for some sort of ancient rusty waterworks/sewer looking thing. I wanted them to match the boards from the box closely as well.
It's strange, as I had originally intended to ignore the boards mostly and move on to playing multi-level style like the old Necromunda, but having painted the scenery and played a few games on it now, I can say that I really like the cramped conditions. It feels different; which is something I wasn't expecting and actually I felt added a lot of flavour to the game (which could have basically just felt like a 40k Infinity hybrid).
Paint wise, I started with some standard GW Black spray undercoat. After that I gave the whole set a coat of Leadbelcher. I generously stippled Ryza Rust on to the relevant areas. A few layers helped build up a bit of texture for the rusty bits. I then washed the whole thing down with black (which I mixed myself so as not to waste too much pre-made wash as I was using a lot!). The next step was to add the oxidised verdigris type parts. For this I made a mix of 1/2 Vallejo Blue Green, 1/4 Vallejo White, and 1/4 Vallejo Olive Green. I thinned this own to a wash and then applied it to the relevant areas (cracks and places where water would pool). I was quite generous in giving it a good coat as I wanted a strong effect. The last thing I did was give the parts a light drybrush (literally just for the edges) of Runefang Steel to bring out the shapes a bit and give it some depth. It also makes the edges look a bit more realistically chipped.
That pretty much sums up the painting. The only other thing I did was go back and add some OSL (Lights). This was pretty quick. I used the airbrush to spray the lights and the areas around them with white. I then went over this with yellow. I hit a larger area with the yellow to fade the effect across the surface a bit. after that, I painted the internals of the lights with light yellow.
Anyway, I'm happy with the way they came out and I think they match the boards well. I also painted all of the consoles and additional bits. I blasted some of them up pretty fast though; especially that tentacle thing that I wet-blended pretty messily!
If you enjoyed this article, check back later as I'll be working on my Escher gang. I should also mention my Necromunda ganger names generator, for those who missed it: