Friday 27 September 2019

Steel Legion Valkyrie Conversion (Revell 1:48 Hind Helicopter Kit)

Something a bit different today. A few weeks ago, I was watching the A-Team (which is full of Helicopters), and I got to thinking how cool it would be to have one for my Steel Legion. Then around the same time, I played a bit of Red Alert on the old PS1 multi-tap. Needless to say, I played as Soviets (because that is probably the last balanced game ever), and I started building Hind Helicopters. It got me thinking how cool they are, and throw in a little Metal Gear nostalgia and this was pretty much the end result.

I should probably explain that there's a reason I took photos outside. One was for the cool "sky" shots, but the other was that this thing is just too big to fit in my regular set-up.


Build wise, I used a Revell 1:48 scale Hind kit. The 1:48 scale is quite close to 28mm. In face, I was able to use the pilots bodies as they were close enough in scale. It was an odd kit to build though, and my first foray into anything "historical" or real. Basically, the build involved getting half the fuselage and adding all the interior detail to it (including internal chambers and cockpit etc and then sandwiching it with thee other half. It sounds fine till you actually try to get that to fit. I'd read a bit online about people shaving various bits down to get it to fit, but it's actually completely unnecessary. About half a dozen elastic bands stretched round the fuselage as it dried ensured a good fit, and in the end no filling or anything was needed.




As far as conversion goes, I replaced the guns with some tank and Sentinel bits. I also added a crewman made from a few spare Anvil parts, and did a similar conversion (head swap and shoulder armour) for the two pilots. The flight base is from TT combat. I used an engraving tool to cut an "X" shape into the helicopter so it sits inside and is nice and snug. Painting was fine - a bit long winded because of how big it is, but nothing to report on really. I followed my usual tank scheme (there a tutorial for it here)





That's about it then. I think I still have another Steel Legion post to go... but I'm starting to lose track.

I also edited this picture to make it look like a battle scene - consider it a bonus!


11 comments:

  1. I love it man! There aren't enough helicopters in 40k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm happy with how it came out. I think it'll be interesting to have tactically in quite a static army.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a bit different than what I normally do. It was cheap too - about £20 including the flight stand.

      Delete
  3. Sweet, but to really 40K it, shave the rotors down lengthways and make them thicker and non-aerodynamic, then its 40K ;) I mean, that looks like it could actually fly which is a no no in 40K haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think I should've made it look more brick-like! Really though, it's just a silly self-indulgent mini!

      Delete
  4. That's awesome! Do you have any more close up pics of the pilots (am assuming they're Steel Legion conversions)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to take some, but between the reflectiveness of the cockpit and my camera skills, I couldn't get a clear shot. They have the same heads as the Anvil troops I've used in the force, as well as Anvil shoulder armour. I painted a white stripe on their helmets too to give them a slightly different more aeronautical look.

      Delete
  5. Hum. Not too sure about this one.

    The conversion and paintjob are great, don't get me wrong. Is that a freehand on the side? Also, kudos on fitting the pilots in the cockpit, it must have been difficult.

    However, the model you chose...I think it's too rounded. I am used to see more square desings in 40K, unless we speak about Tau or Eldar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After writing this, I realize helicopters are very round by desing, and there probably very few that are square-ish.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete