Wednesday 5 July 2017

GK Contest 2017 - I'm the Winner! (2nd place, figure category)



I woke up to some exciting news today. While I was asleep last night, it seems that I was also busy being judged for my painting abilities somewhere in China.

To cut a long story short, my figure placed second in the main figure category (narrowly squeezing past hundreds of other entries). The best part? probably the $200 prize, although really just finally getting a win somewhere was well worth it, after a few dismal showings at Salute!

I'll add a link to the main gallery http://www.e2046.com/contest/2017/, which now features all of the winners at the top. The first place position in my category was well deserved, and I don't even want to know how many hours they spent on that massive dragon and all the figures and bits.

In other news I have plenty of 40k stuff coming up soon. I'm planning to run another full week of Chaos posts next week showcasing all of the things that I've been working on since 8th Edition came out, so stay tuned for that one.

Cheers

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I haven't won anything in a while, and it was a really big competition, so I did a bit of a double-take when I saw my work in second place!

      Delete
  2. Massive congrats, well done matey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work bro! You have once again exceeded the sky of Eternia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just a place, but a state of mind...

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Blazmo, well played. I have never felt good enough about my work to enter it in anything let alone win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep working at it and you'll get there. You just have to keep learning and not let yourself stagnate by relying on the same techniques all the time. I wasn't always good, that's for sure!

      Painting competitions can be fun just as a way to stretch your own skills as far as you can, whether you have a chance of winning or not.

      Delete
  5. Congrats mate! Not my cup of tea, but it is painted most excellently! I enjoyed your WIP posts so I know how much work went into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I started the project on a bit of a random whim, but now I'll have to defend my title next year! I should probably do a tutorial on painting marble at some point too...

      Delete
  6. Hoho, boy! Congrats, man! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ghazz, I guess it goes to show if you keep entering stuff and don't get discouraged, you'll win something eventually!

      Delete